Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

5.09.2006

-1poemfrom2yearsagoonly3peoplehavereadsofar

Dispatches from the World

Having turned off TV
maybe not for good
some six months ago,
the harried pronouncements
of weather, death and mounting
losses, tumbling profits
eating into savings, feeding
unemployment rolls, lost
to me for now, mostly, in
creeps a dispatch, alarm
clock prompt, news snatch
erupts from its tin(n)y speaker
“sniper suspect John Muhammad”
before I slap to snooze.
So colored is my mid-sleep
one hour and nine minutes
to work and my full
bladder has me dreaming
drunkenly of swimming and
“Israeli cease fire agreement”
one hour left and saving
daylight makes it bright now
early morning, smelling of
bed slept in and hours-closed
mouth not sleeping any longer
so dusty dreams gone, cracks
“expanding losses in IT industry”
between curtain and glass, dead
flower droops out there to
the plank of porch, surrounded
by still unborn siblings straining
from stalk ends, world out there
spinning, gray skies mean
rain “transition plans for governor elect”
and so it goes, eyes wide now
and knees back creaking I
rise, fully awake and want to
hear no more from the world
I’ll enter in an hour minus
two snooze, alarm
in my head says
some things don’t turnoff,
for good or otherwise.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that I kept a copy of this. More people should see it than just three.

Tue May 23, 12:53:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home